Re: [flpsed] Intro

From: Johannes Hofmann <Johannes.Hofmann_at_gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 21:46:27 +0100

Hi Jerry,

On Mon, Mar 04, 2013 at 12:19:53PM -0800, jerry wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I just discovered flpsed, and I am excited. It might be the
> lynchpin in my effort to wipe Windows off my desktop, and go with a
> total Linux environment.

Great, if flpsed is useful for you. I only use it occasionally now,
as my tax stuff has now to be done with some web-API.
Originally I wrote flpsed to automate my tax form filling.

> As an aside - what keeps Windows on my desktop is two programs:
> Paperport and
> Quicken. I am investigating replacement of Quicken with gnucash -
> that's another - extensive- project. Looking at Paperport - it has
> a lot of features I don't use. Basically, I use it as a file
> browser that shows thumbnails ( which was hot stuff when Paperport
> came out, but now a lot of file managers do that ) and a quick &
> dirty PDF/Tiff file viewer that lets you type stuff into arbitrary
> locations.
>
> That's where flpsed comes in. I installed it on my Ubuntu 12.10
> desktop, it didn't work. OK, went and found the 0.7 source,
> compiled and installed - much better. To become the
> Paperport-replacing killer app it does need a few things.
> My current wish list
> ------------ snip ------------
> - a "Save" that just overwrites the current file with no
> extra
> mouse clicks.

Shoule be no big deal to have an option for that.

> - Ability to set the font at run-time per individual
> annotation and separately set BOLD & ITALIC

This has been requested a lot and is not hard to implement, but the
problem is that flpsed relies on the font to render in the same way
on X11 and in Postscript. This is not true for all fonts, so one has
to choose the available ones carefully. It might also be necessary
to position the characters individually in Postscript.

> - Ability to insert and delete characters INSIDE
> annotations.

That should be rather simple. I would suggest to subclass some fltk
widget for entering the text.

> - Different cursor depending on whether you're in "enter
> new annotation" or "edit existing annotation" mode.

Nice idea.

> - Ability to paste graphic annotions

Graphical annotations are possible, but a bit harder to implement.

> - Ability to paste transparent graphic notations
> ( only set pixels from white to black(or non-white),
> NEVER from black( or non-white ) to white
> ( this is because I often need to paste in a signature
> in a too-small box or over a line ). It would be OK if this only
> worked in B&W
> ( one bit per pixel ) files.

I'd rather make the graphic pasting feature respect an alpha
channel. That feels cleaner than a special case for black/white.

> - Ability to do a little tiny bit of image modification.
> Just erasing rectangular blocks. Hate to have
> to start up the GIMP for that!
>
> - support for TIFF files, even if it consists only of
> calling tiff2pdf to read them, and then pdf2tiff to
> write them. OK if annotations become cast in stone.

As you proposed I'd rely on some external converter for that.

> - ability to write or export "portable" PDFs, which don't
> have anything flpsed-specific in them. OK if the annotations become
> cast in stone. Just use ghostscript to render it to another PDF?
> I see that there already
> are "Import" and "Export" buttons. Need to read code and find out
> what they do.

Running a saved file through ps2ps should be enough.

> ----------- endsnip -------------
>
> Now, here's the beauty of Open Source - I might be able to do it
> myself.
> While I am not any sort of genius, I did spend 20 years as a
> software engineer, mostly writing in C. Never learned C++, but I
> did a recent stint writing object oriented Perl, so the OO stuff is
> not that difficult.
>
> The first step is a thorough reading of existing code. Here are
> my notes:
> ------------- snip ---------------
> flipsed fonts - are actually defined in fltk somewhere. So the
> numbers
> are not in our control.
> .... The small integers that specify the standard FLTK fonts are
> defined
> in .... /usr/include/Fl/Enumerations.H
> ( GAAK! mixed-case filenames! )

You can open any font with fltk. Look at test/fonts.cxx in the fltk
tarball.

Regards,
Johannes